Indispensable life skill: how to repair things, in general

Discussing all topics related to self-sufficiency, living off the land and off-grid philosophies.
Liberalis
Site Admin

Re: Indispensable life skill: how to repair things, in general

Post by Liberalis »

I agree that hand tools are definately the way to go and i love my trusty old Stihl chainsaw but i have a decent new bow saw and replacement blades for when/if petrol is no longer available. I am also buying some more decent axes this week so that i can still cut down trees and process the lumber when my chainwsaw eventually breaks and/or petrol and 2 stroke oil is no longer an option.

I suppose we are all reliant on some external sources whether it be electric or acetylene for a welder or petrol to run a chainsaw. I cannot produce my own acetylene or petrol but i can produce my own electric so i guess there is that advantage. There is no hand tool alternative to a welder (that i know of) so will have to just benefit from it as long as i can. I am in the process of designing a little solar setup for my garage as i have too many power tools etc that i really don't want to be without when the :poo: hits the fan. :tongue:

Thanks for creating this thread BM, i hope you are ok mate.
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
Liberalis
Site Admin

Re: Indispensable life skill: how to repair things, in general

Post by Liberalis »

Ohhh and another massive indespensable life skill is being able to sharpen your tools! This is hugely important whether it is for sharpening knifes for cooking, scissors, chainsaw chains, sharpening your axes, gardening tools etc.

I bought a reasonably priced set of metal files during summer and now i can sharpen my lawnmower blades, gardening tools (shears, loppers + spade edges) and also my axes. A cheap investment that will be worth its weight in gold! You can't do much with blunt tools and sharpening them is something i only rarely think about. I only bought the files because i saw them in the shop by coincidence and they jogged my memory. It is easy to forget about the more mundane but essential things like sharpening tools.

www.yewtu.be/watch?v=VZQ8ZUtyydI

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=fUHGeP6j7LI
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"