Stocking up on food?

Discussing all topics related to self-sufficiency, living off the land and off-grid philosophies.
ItsTheTruth

Stocking up on food?

Post by ItsTheTruth »

I’ve heard it quite a lot be recommended that we start stocking up on food and supplies with a planned food shortage coming. Can anyone tell me when this is likely to start?

I have started filling up my cupboards with food, some of which lasts a few years but some such as long life milk only lasting up until November 2020 to early 2021.

Any advice appreciated! Never stocked up on food before I’ve always been a buy it as I need it type person but now I have children to think of and know what’s coming I need to be as best prepared as I can.
‘It’s dangerous to be right when your government are wrong.’
NatureisFreedom

Re: Stocking up on food?

Post by NatureisFreedom »

Depends how much access you have to a freezer/refrigerator, a chest freezer is very efficient. There are techniques to keep eggs and meat without refrigeration. Powdered milk should last longer, but is not very healthy. Some boxed milk lasts longer and doesn't need refrigeration. Canned food lasts a very long time. Store things that are dense in nutrition, but also somewhat enjoyable. If you aren't used to cooking you will get used to it very quickly.

Other things that are good right now is to contact local farmers and buy directly from them, you can get better deals and support the right people. Also those contacts will be invaluable as things fall apart.

18th century preservation techniques:
ItsTheTruth

Post by ItsTheTruth »

Unfortunately we only have a small freezer and no room for anything larger. I heard they may cut power here and there too so mainly I’m relying on tinned food and rice/pasta that doesn’t need refrigeration. None of it is great which I’m not pleased about, especially tinned with the metals but It’s better than nothing at all. I’ll have a look at that video now, thanks :)
NatureisFreedom

Post by NatureisFreedom »

Sure thing :)
It should link to a playlist if you follow the youtube link, with other tips from him, also he has really good recipes that can be cooked on minimal equipment.

One slightly unorthodox thing you could look into are how eskimos stored and made "high meat" that is fermented meat, horrible to smell and taste at first but insanely healthy. I would only do it with very good sourced meat and make sure it is never frozen, you are trying to cultivate the natural bacteria on it. I have done it with glass jars at home.
Dry aging is another more common technique, often done in barns.

If you still eat a pretty typical diet I remember hearing about some sailors doing a cross atlantic, or cross world journey on a light craft and had super limited fridge space. They did some things like getting squeezable mayo, since apparently that only needs refrigeration once it has had bacteria from a knife or something added to it. Salami and summer sausage are fine for a long time un-refrigerated, even after opening. Crackers/triscuts can last a long time and makes a nice snack with the summer sausage. Cheese is fat and if you get the right kinds does not require refrigeration, I would suggest raw cheese if that is an option for you. You usually need to source that directly through a farmer, or if you live near an amish community or something similar.
Raw milk can be fermented into keifer, super nutritious.
https://yourfamilyfarmer.com/recipes/ho ... ed%20kefir.

High meat video, note id suggest getting organ meat or very high fat content meat for it, ground beef is fine but a nice steak would be better. Cut it into small slices so you can swallow it easily, you dont want to chew it if you arent used to the taste.
I learned to make it with airing it out every 3 days for at least 5-10 seconds, otherwise you can risk promoting the wrong bacteria. I bought organic chicken thighs from a local butcher shop, it is hard to source proper organ meat and stuff here that has not been frozen. It smelled very sulfury, but was tolerable easily. The taste was more palatable after time. Yes, it has some euphoric like effects safe for all ages, and dogs as well if done properly.
Airmid

Post by Airmid »

You could stock up on sprouting seeds and sprout them as you require - no cooking required and a good source of nutrition_ lots of videos on how to do this. This is especially useful if you live in a city and can't grow your own.
ItsTheTruth

Post by ItsTheTruth »

Desperate times, desperate measures... if I need to eat food that sounds terrible, I will lol. When are we to expect food shortages to start?
Liberalis
Site Admin

Post by Liberalis »

ItsTheTruth wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm When are we to expect food shortages to start?

They have started where i am already for a few products. I am expecting it to get pretty bad by the end of year personally but this is just my opinion.

ItsTheTruth wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:29 pm have started filling up my cupboards with food, some of which lasts a few years but some such as long life milk only lasting up until November 2020 to early 2021.

Any advice appreciated! Never stocked up on food before I’ve always been a buy it as I need it type person but now I have children to think of and know what’s coming I need to be as best prepared as I can.

Anything dried like peas, beans and pulses etc are a good option and store well. You can preserve lots in jars by various methods (can's also but glass is a great storage material - unless you drop them :( ).

I think for those that can, it is time to start stocking up whenever practical.

It is going to be a benefit in the future for those who are getting into this mindset now. It is going to get ugly.......Melinda Gates ugly!
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
ItsTheTruth

Post by ItsTheTruth »

Liberalis wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 pm It is going to be a benefit in the future for those who are getting into this mindset now. It is going to get ugly.......Melinda Gates ugly!
That last part really made me lol 🤣

I didn’t think about dried beans, pulses and other so I need to put that on my list before I forget. Lentils will probably be a great idea to bulk things out more too.
Satty Jane

Post by Satty Jane »

I live in a unit. With relatively ok size balcony. I went to bunnings and got a veggie garden set up. I will admit it's bloody hard and honestly if I had to rely on my skills. My family would starve. Heh but several people I spoke with doing similar. 😃
Airmid

Post by Airmid »

Herbs are easy to grow and along with providing nutrition also give flavour - so good luck with your mini garden Satty Jane!

Dried foods - rice, pasta, grains and legumes, nuts (look out for the dates) and something to flavour it all with and don't forget salt - the basic solution for the non meat eaters but maybe there are more basics I have left out.

I got a swarm of bees in case chocolate and sugar disappear! Actually I always wanted to keep bees so here goes..... :)