I got worms 🪱

Discussing all topics related to self-sufficiency, living off the land and off-grid philosophies.
Liberalis
Site Admin

I got worms 🪱

Post by Liberalis »

I start my adventure into vermiculture today :). I have received my package of composting worms and will introuce them to their new home later.

I want to be as self-sufficient as i can be and producing my own top quality compost means that i don't have to buy anymore low quality crap from the shops in the future.

I go through quite a bit of compost each year and shop bought stuff is nearly always low quality so the plan is to be 100% self-sufficient on compost by later this year (hopefully).

I built a worm farm from a big rubbish bin i had laying around. I cut the bottom out and put in a grill so the finished compost will fall out or be scraped out of the bottom. Some call this a continuous flow system which seems like a good idea to me.

When the worm numbers build up, i can seperate some out and start other farms/bins.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
SeeD_Command

Re: I got worms 🪱

Post by SeeD_Command »

Nice, you will see a vast improvement in your yields using homemade-compost over the toxic store bought crap. Every compost bin/design I've ever tried became infested with rodents, particularly moles. I eventually graduated to using several blue 55-gallon drums which I painted black and mounted on saw horses for rotation. They worked really well and quickly broke down chicken manure and soiled bedding, but simply didn't yield enough for my needs, so I usually ended up buying a few scoops from the mennonites.

Nice topic name too. Before I read into it, I thought you really had worms and was looking for advice. I was going to refer to my special forces training manual where they recommend a shot of kerosene, i'm serious, and it works. The manual was written by Colin Towel. They would also prescribe Hartz Mountain pills, which the soldiers preferred over taking a spoonful of kerosene every 24hrs until the worms passed, ALIVE!! ;) I always felt sorry for them when the only thing I had to do was drive a truck :tongue:
Liberalis
Site Admin

Post by Liberalis »

Yeah, it is a problem producing enough compost for your needs. I will start a new double compost heap soon for leaves and extra kitchen scraps etc to give me more. I am surrounded by woodland and there are tonnes of leaves everywhere so it would be lazy of me not to use them. We get big ass rats here and my cats take out the babies so they can't get out of control easily but i have had rats in my compost heaps before and one was a monster (I could of almost put a saddle on him and rode the bastard!).
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Ivermectin is Good for Eliminating Them as Well! 😜
We Are More Than We Realise...🐙🪓💥👿