Feeding your pets - Self-sufficiently

Discussing all topics related to self-sufficiency, living off the land and off-grid philosophies.
Goldilox

Re: Feeding your pets - Self-sufficiently

Post by Goldilox »

Depending on where you are living and have cats who do hunt rodents, we must keep in mind the heavy baiting programs because of the plagues taking NSW/SEQLD and parts of VIC by storm. Secondary poisoning is affecting all wildlife in those heavily baited regions. On our farm in central Vic, we have had to bait or lose our straw bales and we also have cats & dogs who will go after the mice. We can only use first line baiting for so long due to the expense and then will have to switch to DIY methods, namely flour & cement mix. When push comes to shove, I will have to take up rabbit hunting and fishing to keep pets fed and as a vegetarian myself, it's not something I relish the thought of, but will do if I have to. Carp contains two boneless fillets which can be used for human consumption and for the pets too - our waterways are choking up with Carp, so it's win-win if you catch them in the most stress free way to prevent them releasing histamine, which causes the muddiness, so swim them in a large Esky and add ice to reduce any histamine release and put them to sleep gently.
Liberalis
Site Admin

Post by Liberalis »

Very good points Goldilox!

I have realised that i will have to start hunting when things get bad with increasing food prices, food shortages etc. I looked into breeding rabbits back when i created this thread and i realised that i would have to raise and kill 100+ rabbits a year! Thats a lot of death and i couldn't do it to animals that i raise.

I decided that i would trade that for hunting a few bigger, wild animals per year. It is not something i would of even considered before this covaids scam but it really is going to be a case of survive or die and we will need to do what we must to get through this when things get dark. I am investing in equipment and research now so that i can become the best hunter i can for the sake of my prey and to show respect for their sacrifice, ready for when this becomes a neccesity for me and my furry buddies to get through whats coming.

I love nature and i don't like the thought of having to hunt but i am a carnivore, my cats are carnivores and its the way it is. I guess that this way is 1000% times more honest and ethical than buying mass produced, anti-biotic riddled, steroid filled meat from the supermarket like i have done for years (i can't afford organic meat).

I am very lucky to live in a woodland surrounded by lots of game and hunting grounds. Things would be tough in an urban environment and thats when intensive farming methods like raising rabbits might be a good option.

This sums it up perfectly...
Goldilox wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 pm it's not something I relish the thought of, but will do if I have to.
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
Namremahs

Post by Namremahs »

A good thread 🙂
I have a Mexican Ratweiler, she’ll probably try to eat me...
bean

Post by bean »

Namremahs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 pm A good thread 🙂
I have a Mexican Ratweiler, she’ll probably try to eat me...
LOL, that`s funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Enlightenment is a destructive process"
Namremahs

Post by Namremahs »

bean wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am
LOL, that`s funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
For you maybe!
...imagine how I feel when nibbled upon... 😲 haha
Joking aside, yes it is equally important to save up for our furry, feathery, scaly friends and companions...
Namremahs

Post by Namremahs »

...and another thing...
Don’t forget the extra supplements to enhance their immune system as well. In case we find ourselves in a scenario with biological warfare. (Yes, we’re probably already in it)
Depending on what animal u have it can be wise to find out what kind of vitamins, minerals and possibly medicines it’s good to have at hand.
Anon-jon

Post by Anon-jon »

My dog does well on my home cooked stew, and it's cheap to make.
1 kilo of pet mince
1 cup rice
2 potatoes grated
2 carrots grated
some peas
a dash of salt
a shake of termeric
1 cup quick oats
a sprinkle of mixed herbs
some dried fruit in small amounts

boil on the stove, divide into 4 portions for a mid to large dog, that's 4 days food, all ingredients approved by my fave online vet. https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... 1266648635
To help the dog digest the veggies easier, let him/her eat some horse poop (my dog loves horse poop lol) , to boost the veg eating bacteria in their gut.
If your dog is a working dog, adjust meat/protein to suit. I often leave out 1 or 2 ingredients and put something else in to change the flavour, like a spoon of peanut butter, or vegemite, because their sense of smell (and therefore presumably taste) is much better than ours. Try at your own risk, I accept no responsibility for dogs that can't eat this combo! My dog has been on it for a few years now, no trips to the vet, no health probs.