Astrology Thread

Covering the subjects of Astrology, Tarot, I Ching, Dowsing, Numerology and all other forms of divination.
eternalsunshine

Astrology Thread

Post by eternalsunshine »

Hey all, I have practiced astrology the past 10 years. Thinking of housing a thread here for q+a, chart posting of relevant events/people, and charting of transits. Open to philosophical discussion about what our planet and the stars are, how they are shaped/how they move, and what that movement yields. The esoteric is extremely important to acknowledge as well since we exist in a matrix that is programmed a particular way with particular possible outcomes (e.g. nothing appears to be without a purpose). When making calculations, it is essential to describe the underlying programming that allows those calculations to be as they are.

So. What are we all interested in discussing?
Liberalis
Site Admin

Re: Astrology Thread

Post by Liberalis »

Hi eternalsunshine, An astrology thread is a good idea. I have a question or two to start things off for you....

I was wondering what processes or steps are involved when you go about reading for someone from their birth chart.

Is there an element of intuition involved, like with Tarot readings, in combination with the mathematical side of things?

I briefly looked into astrology late last year and the complexity of it blew my mind! I have more questions now than i did to start with. The ancient Mayan astrology calendars fascinate me which is where my curiosity comes from.
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
eternalsunshine

Hi, that's a good question! So yes, astrology and tarot are definitely related in terms of how they're read. Tarot is "faster" with less elements and tapping directly into cosmic consciousness (if you're into that kind of thing). It's a great way to play wth archetypes before having to do any rote study. Astrology also uses the cosmic consciousness but as a secondary measure. The primary measure of astrology (broadly speaking) is the placement of the stars. This can be done using literally any model (heliocentric, geocentric, etc.)and from any perspective (sidereal, tropical, etc.). So in astrology, after the chart is drawn based on desired calculations, then the intuitive cosmic consciousness comes through in the form of the astrologer's focal points. As you read more charts, certain features begin to jump out at you. It is important to note in both tarot and astrology, the reader's perspective shapes the entire reading. For that reason, any reader worth his or her salt will also facilitate an understanding of basic literacy to their clients so their clients can read their charts for themselves as well.

Mayan astrology is not an area I have gone into as I don't have any primary sources or teachers to work with. I do know it is closely associated with the synodic cycles of Venus and Mars. They also have 20 major archetypes with 13 sub-delineations- but I'm not super sure on how to read those. I could give it a shot with you if you'd like! No better way to learn than jumping right in.
boligrafo

Post by boligrafo »

Plain and stupid: can you say something about this situation we're in? Can astrology help to decide what actions we should take against our criminal leaders? i know my question is not very philosophical, but plain and blunt.
Liberalis
Site Admin

Post by Liberalis »

I will have to let eternalsunshine answer that regards astrology but the way most forms of divination work (Tarot, i-ching, dowsing etc) is they cannot predict the future any more than you or i can but they can suggest a beneficial course of action from this moment as things stand in the now. Carl Jung explained the phenomenon much better than i can in reference to the i-ching and synchronicities.
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice"
eternalsunshine

boligrafo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:59 am Plain and stupid: can you say something about this situation we're in? Can astrology help to decide what actions we should take against our criminal leaders? i know my question is not very philosophical, but plain and blunt.
Haha it's not stupid :) Astrologically, there's just certain "topsy turvy" times that are indicated individually and for society based on the systems put in place. It's important to know what system you'd like to work with. So for instance, Western astrology is very common right now. But guess what that system lines RIGHT up with? You guessed it- the same ones that are creating the tech, controlling production/distribution of goods, monopolizing governments, etc. So in using astrology as you're suggesting- as kind of a divination tool- you have a few options. You can cast your own chart within the system to see what types of actions should be done within the system. You can cast a chart on certain portions of the society (based on place) to gauge how the system will operate there. You can cast charts on major power players like Bill Gates or Trump to predict which precedents they'll be setting in their "time in the sun."

All of those things are very interesting. But I suppose I have another question for you rather than an answer- what outcome are you looking for? Divination charts are best drawn after having this pretty "nailed down" :) Otherwise, by casting/reading and essentially spending time within a system, you're feeding it with your energies.

If you're looking to cast your own chart to gauge best course of action after answering that question and you don't want to use the systems we have in place, cast a Draconic chart. This kind of chart sets everyone's nodal (karmic) influences to the same point in order to neutralize it. The effect in reading is to minimize your own karmic cycles and take a peek into what's going on collectively. Put more simply, it helps you answer the question, "How may I serve?" and it gives you different options in terms of interpretation. It keeps you, as Max would say, with one foot in the fiction (the same light bodies are used in analysis) but it sets the system to a place as if the system's slate was wiped clean.

Hope this made sense!
Aurelius

Post by Aurelius »

If astrology is real/true, how do you explain the existence of other stars sytems? And why do the astrologists feel that the movements of the celestial bodies that we can see (ie Stars or other suns from other galaxaies) have any influence on the world in which we live in?
Think of it this way, if we lived on another planet in another galaxy, the stars that we would see would be totally different to the ones we see now, so how is it that the stars/constellations that we see from earth have any existential force over our particular planet/solar system or the beings that live here?
It seems very sef centred, as if the universe was made solely for us here on planet Earth...
To my way of thinking, it comes down to our particular position in the galaxy/universe.
To give certain star alignments or 'designs' characterisitics or influencial dynamics over the way of life on this planet relates, soley to our position in the universe and what we see as we gaze out into it all.
If we lived in a different part of the universe, we wouldn't see the same patterns, so how could we give them the same attributes?
Once again, it seems very self centred, and hence not alligned to the charcteristics of the universe, which, to me seems non-centrical.
I am very interested in the idea, and enjoy the possiblity of what if, but if we are going to attribute influence from the stars upon this planet, we really need to consider the idea that the whole thing is designed for us, or made from us, which leads into a whole other realm of discussion.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively. – Bob Marley
Silanis

Post by Silanis »

Maybe not on the same thread as aurelius, but what's generally kept me away from astrology is that at best it can predict what is. At worst, it autistically gives a sense of authority to the astrologer. Now, like with science, we think we have to discover things for them to be 'known', but the universe doesn't necessarily need to read one of our science books in order to figure things out for itself. We are living in such a complex world—we don't even know what happens biologically when we eat a carrot—we can either pretend we've worked it out, or succumb to the faith of accepting it without needing to analyse it. A Taoist attitude.

So yes, having my astrology chart done may astound me as to how correct it represents my personality and behaviours, but that's the same feeling I get from reading my favourite book again... knowing what the ending is.

If true astrologists accept a predetermination, then why are they so excited by predicting a future that was always going to happen? Is there more than authoritative insight or do you feel that your spiritual work is actually progressing by simply knowing what's already known?

The medicine that I work with tells me to stop asking questions, that the insects are here to take notes and do their tallies so that we can simply be and again... the best we can possibly do at working this out is something so limited and autistic that we are simply wasting our time.

Look…. a shooting star!!!
eternalsunshine

To both of the above- Silanus and Aurelius- I apologize for the late reply. Personal background, I have 2 young children who I am raising while living with my parents- it's as idyllic and nightmarish as you'd imagine, sometimes all at once which is a trip but overall part of my journey that I'm stoked about- and I freelance full time and was contacted by 4 new clients that I'm excited to take on but that meant no social online time. So again, I apologize for a late reply but here we go! My reply is direct to Aurelius but I'm hoping to encompass both here. Cheers and I'm so glad to have the philosophical talks. That shit never gets brought up in the astro "world" and it's THE most important!
Aurelius wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:01 pm If astrology is real/true, how do you explain the existence of other stars sytems? And why do the astrologists feel that the movements of the celestial bodies that we can see (ie Stars or other suns from other galaxaies) have any influence on the world in which we live in?
Think of it this way, if we lived on another planet in another galaxy, the stars that we would see would be totally different to the ones we see now, so how is it that the stars/constellations that we see from earth have any existential force over our particular planet/solar system or the beings that live here?
It seems very sef centred, as if the universe was made solely for us here on planet Earth...
To my way of thinking, it comes down to our particular position in the galaxy/universe.
To give certain star alignments or 'designs' characterisitics or influencial dynamics over the way of life on this planet relates, soley to our position in the universe and what we see as we gaze out into it all.
If we lived in a different part of the universe, we wouldn't see the same patterns, so how could we give them the same attributes?
Once again, it seems very self centred, and hence not alligned to the charcteristics of the universe, which, to me seems non-centrical.
I am very interested in the idea, and enjoy the possiblity of what if, but if we are going to attribute influence from the stars upon this planet, we really need to consider the idea that the whole thing is designed for us, or made from us, which leads into a whole other realm of discussion.

To be really direct, you have to decide if astrology is real in order for any of it to "work." I prefer to think of it as a perspective, one of infinite you can take. It is not like the deductive sciences. It is inductive, it works with energetics, and the "rules" change. The positions of the stars change every few thousand years or less, which is why it's hilarious to work with a "Western" approach when the stars are clearly in different placements (accounted for in "Eastern." sidereal astrology). What's more interesting to me is that both approaches work because again- you're working with energy. When you read any energy and start explaining it or working with it in ritual or whatever- you "charge" it in the same way that scientists KNOW that when we observe particular things happening, our observation significantly affects (e.g. "charges") the outcome. So, what astrology is/does is look up at the stars, look down at the earth, and provide some commentary for the purpose of charging the energies (usually here on earth, I'm sure there's some wizards out there or Musks who are hell-bent on "charging"/putting our energies on Mars but that's a whole other story hahaha). That is SUPER broad. Astrology requires a dip into the esoteric

In terms of our own human significance, it’s ok to be “self-centered” as long as you know that’s the perspective you’re taking. Once you’ve built your own mythos, it is actually quite beautiful to observe and interact and contribute to others. Proper astrology is a pondering of the “characteristics of the universe” in constant motion; nothing is the final “end all be all.” There is free will not just of humans but of other forces that we don’t understand (this is the stuff in quantum sciences that moves “randomly”- that “randomness” can be coined “free will” and for the sake of this response can be used interchangeably). Not everything is designed for us- the evidence of that is where we are. If you think Mercury was designed for you, I’d say good luck getting there. We are Earth creatures for sure! But that doesn’t mean we can’t ponder the relationships that Earth has and the directions we as part of the Earth’s consciousness would like to go. And it’s not a bad thing for you or I as individuals to have ideas (even different ideas) about that. You don’t have to hold a “human-centric” philosophy to do astrology. And I would argue the same as you that human-centrism is unnecessarily limiting. There’s a lot more to it than us. That’s part of why it feels like magic to tap into :) It’s not to be controlled and can only be understood in retrospect; it’s to create, to imagine, to build, to play.
Aurelius

Post by Aurelius »

Thankyou for your reply it's much appreciated.
Upon re-reading my post (written late Friday night after a few beers 8-) ) it seems a little condescending, that wasn't my intention. I am genuinely interested, but I have a very analitical mind and tend to over scrutinise things sometimes and usually come across quite skeptical.
I am all for the idea you touched on about influencing what we put our energies into and have commented somewhere here much to the same effect. I understand that Astronomy and Astrology are two entirely different subjects but am wondering if facets of Astronomy come into play with the latter?
What really interests me are the influences of the stars on the builders of the ancient monolithic structures scattered all over the planet, as there seems to be such precise mathematical equations at play but to what ends is my main query, and, as stated previously, although I realise the two subjects are different, what corrolation does Astrology have with these mega structures, if any, and is there any knowledge that can be gained by advancing my knowledge in the subject you practise?
I have studied some anthropology in regard to the ancient megastructures and understand quite a bit about movement of the constellations throughout the millenia or Axial Precession if you will, and am just trying to gain as much info from as many different sources as possible in search for cohesion.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively. – Bob Marley