Be weary of DJI products

Covering technology based topics including cryptocurrency, 5G, nanotechnology, IT, transhumanism, AI, surveillance and cyber security.
BananaMulcher

Be weary of DJI products

Post by BananaMulcher »

The company behind the handheld cameras (Osmo Pocket, used by some friends we may know) DJI, have a bad track record of inserting backdoors and exfiltrating data to remote servers with their products. Their drone companion Android app was found to have such malfeatures, “Overall, these features are worrisome and may allow DJI or Weibo to access the user’s private information or target them for further exploitation.” Some advice from the findings was to disable internet connectivity although I don't see this solving the problem or being a practical, long term solution for anyone. All data transferred was done without user knowledge, which is pretty typical for any proprietary software.

If I were to use something for long form outdoors talks, I would be tempted to rig up an old school USB webcam to some portable computer and capture from /dev/video0 something like:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s 320x240 -i /dev/video0 sunday_stroll.mpg
Maybe this deserves a longer post from me, after some experimentation. :cowboy:
"It will make things difficult, if it becomes known among the peoples of the Weave that they have among them a new ally who happens to be immune to our particular kind of gentle persuasion."