ALCOHOL

This section is for topics about health and well-being including plant medicines, holistic treatments and diet etc.
Born_Free

Re: ALCOHOL

Post by Born_Free »

Boadicea wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:20 pm
Born_Free wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:01 am That led me to start collecting, and here I am 8 years later with perhaps 1200+ bottles. So I am in a decent 'bartering position' should it be needed. As long as you store the spirits in a relatively stable temperature (cool and dark) then whisky will last for many, many years, oh and upright too as the cork is not the same as the corks used in wine.

It all depends how badly the SHTF I think.
Born Free is Now Officially the Crow Bar Tender! ๐Ÿคฃ
LOL, that would only work if you all like Whisky or Bourbon, have very little experience or stock of other things except for one or two bottles of tequila, rum and vodka. LOL, I think I just passed the second round of 'my interview'. :tongue:
pierre

Post by pierre »

I collect lots of bottles too, wine bottles, empty ones.
but it goes to a good cause
the neighbour uses them to re-construct his bridge.
that my avalanched landscape occassionaly threatens to destroy.
support you neighbours, drink heavily.
seriously, 1800 bottles... that is like the old flood adage
water water everywhere but not a drop to drink
and more seriously, for 5 whole days (and counting)
not a drop.
the only way I can loose weight apart from not eating the equivalent calories in food
and replacing food with grog is one definition of alcoholic.
SeeD_Command

Post by SeeD_Command »

I don't see anything to substantiate this claim other than 14 seconds of goop dripping into a stainless steel sink and someone eagerly collecting it with their bud-light can. The attached article doesn't give any kind of explanation and the snopes fact-check article doesn't provide any real information.
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

I Had Occasion to See 'Slimey' Beer when Touring the Outback, Locked Communities in OZ.
Needless to say I Didn't Partake.

Did Sit Under the Lone Big Tree at the Billabong with the Locals as they Huffed Gasoline and Drank Metho.
Beyond Heart Breaking...๐Ÿ˜ข

The Video Reminded me of the Viscosity.
Obviously, I Don't have a Sample to Examine.
Maybe You Could have a little Look?

My Main Point being that We Require Our Wits and I Don't Trust ANYTHING Commercially Produced, Especially the Fall Back Foods and Drugs that Have Been Tainted in the Past. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Staphylococci and other selected microbiota associated with indigenous traditional beer
Staphylococcus epidermidis in Beer

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Sta ... _236695782
We Are More Than We Realise...๐Ÿ™๐Ÿช“๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Emily Harris

Post by Emily Harris »

Born_Free wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 pm ......

Luckily for me, I tend to drink mostly whisky, and stuff that has been aged for 12+ years, hopefully that helps to avoid some of this stuff. For me, it is very much quality over quantity, you can enjoy alcohol in moderation.. When I drink a whisky it takes me to the Country of the distillery, the distillery itself, the people, and if it an old whisky (say 30+ years old) the era it was produced in. As an example I drank a Talisker 25 years old, distilled in 1979 and bottled in 2004, you cannot fail to be transported back in time like only music, food and smells can do.

Saying all that though, I agree that alcohol has many negative effects, both on health and society in general. ....
But you know what? I recently learned that not only do the Hunzas of Pakistan often live to 140 years of age or more but there are two other cultures the Vilcabambans of Ecuador and the Abkhasians of Russia who do as well... and a documentary of the Vilcabambans ( or it may have been the other or both) said that several of the people that lived to these ripe old ages both drink AND smoke! Boy, was I surprised to hear and see that! One thing they do NOT do is over-eat, however. They don't eat any more than 1800 calories a day and they consume little protein and little fat (only around 10%) - the OPPOSITE of what we are told to do. They get a lot of exercise doing menial chores of every day life. They also do not eat a lot of cooked food nor do they eat any or very little in the way of meat, eggs or dairy. It is mostly all raw fruit and raw veg (or steamed). Page 69 of Dr. Doug Graham's book 80/10/10 shows in a table what they each consume.
"The most certain barrier to truth is the belief you already have it" ~ Voltaire
pierre

Post by pierre »

though, as I find, "hey don't eat any more than 1800 calories a day "
a bottle of wine is 600 calories... the only way , as I cannot exercise more, to drink and lose weight is to cut back on food, which is one definition of an alcoholic.

I wonder if I can turn 100 tins of 3 year old baked beans into alcohol? they are starting to taste a little out of date.
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

Mate, Should I Be Worried About You?
I Know you are out there Alone and Alcohol and Poor Diet are Not Your Friend.
Apologies for Sounding Bossy, But I have First Hand Experience and it's a Slippery Slope Brother.
It will Only Exacerbate your Health Issues and Pain.
Also you Know Alcohol Piles on the Weight as the Body Struggles with the Toxins, Congeners and Sugar.
Please Take Care of Your Self or I'll Have to Send the Chicken Protection Agents Around to Check on You...
๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ”
๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ™
We Are More Than We Realise...๐Ÿ™๐Ÿช“๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
pierre

Post by pierre »

no worries, I ate some 3yo baked beans for lunch an hour ago... and still I type. and all is quiet on the southern front (gut)
Uncle Jim Stone told us it is better to put on some weight, a sort of prepping. portable , though not potable (soylent green notwithstanding and no refrigeration required. 10-15% over is not too bad.
If I were going to go alco, I would not stop at 1.5 bottles. AND I would be going out in thongs past the brown snakes down to the 'cellar' , avoiding (or not) the bogon moths and micro bats, and getting that 3rd bottle out.. never happened. but I dress in rags and smell a lot, I'm a social disease. / Elton John song.
Born_Free

Post by Born_Free »

Emily Harris wrote: โ†‘Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:43 am
Born_Free wrote: โ†‘Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 pm ......

Luckily for me, I tend to drink mostly whisky, and stuff that has been aged for 12+ years, hopefully that helps to avoid some of this stuff. For me, it is very much quality over quantity, you can enjoy alcohol in moderation.. When I drink a whisky it takes me to the Country of the distillery, the distillery itself, the people, and if it an old whisky (say 30+ years old) the era it was produced in. As an example I drank a Talisker 25 years old, distilled in 1979 and bottled in 2004, you cannot fail to be transported back in time like only music, food and smells can do.

Saying all that though, I agree that alcohol has many negative effects, both on health and society in general. ....
But you know what? I recently learned that not only do the Hunzas of Pakistan often live to 140 years of age or more but there are two other cultures the Vilcabambans of Ecuador and the Abkhasians of Russia who do as well... and a documentary of the Vilcabambans ( or it may have been the other or both) said that several of the people that lived to these ripe old ages both drink AND smoke! Boy, was I surprised to hear and see that! One thing they do NOT do is over-eat, however. They don't eat any more than 1800 calories a day and they consume little protein and little fat (only around 10%) - the OPPOSITE of what we are told to do. They get a lot of exercise doing menial chores of every day life. They also do not eat a lot of cooked food nor do they eat any or very little in the way of meat, eggs or dairy. It is mostly all raw fruit and raw veg (or steamed). Page 69 of Dr. Doug Graham's book 80/10/10 shows in a table what they each consume.
Indeed. So much evidence from those that live to full ages that the odd 'tipple' here and there is not too damaging. In saying that, perhaps the effects of alcohol are different depending on your 'make-up'? Some are fine with a drink a day, and others don't do well on alcohol. I certainly agree though, that a lot of the 'collateral' damage that alcohol can cause (generally when used in excess) certainly causes so much impact for the World, on relationships, and society as a whole. As with EVERYTHING, it is about personal responsibility, and the use of alcohol. As they say, it is not the gun that shoots and kills, it is the person using it.
chief

Post by chief »

i became addicted the moment i could buy it, around 15, and gave it up when i was 19, never touched it since. it just made me selfish and ignorant. it exposed my worst traits and magnified them. it seemed like a temporary cure to anxiety but it didn't suit me at all. wasn't long before i found the real cure.

fun fact, alcohol means 'the ghoul'
al = the
cohol comes from kohl (in modern arabic, it's a kind of creepy facepaint) which comes from gawl (ghoul) - the soul trapping or flesh eating evil spirit

that's why we call it spirit
that's why we call it BOOs